What we know, is that our patients FEEL our passion. They feel that we are their biggest cheerleaders. They feel that we want the best for them. They do NOT feel judged. We want to give every patient the opportunity to say YES to the best dental care.
Several Symptoms of Gum Recession
Gum recession can occur without any visible symptoms, so maintaining routine dental appointments is critical, as Karmazin Dental will be able to notice its early signs. The most common symptoms of gum recession that you may see on your own include:
- Bleeding after brushing or flossing your teeth.
- You have developed bad breath.
- You have pain at the gumline with swollen, red gums.
- You have developed exposed tooth roots that cause sensitivity.
- A loose tooth has developed.
- Your gums are shrinking.
The Stages of Gum Disease
Periodontal disease is a progressive issue that will gradually increase in severity. You can develop periodontal disease in the following order:
- Gingivitis: The earliest stage of periodontitis, gingivitis usually develops from bacterial plaque that builds up along the gums. Gingivitis becomes evident with sensitive gums that are red, puffy, and bleed easily. Gingivitis can be reversed with proper cleaning and improved oral health care, but if not addressed quickly, it will develop into a more severe form of gum disease.
- Early Periodontitis: Early periodontitis is from the continued build-up of bacterial plaque and develops when gingivitis is left untreated. Early periodontitis has the same symptoms of gingivitis, just more severe. The gums will now feel painful and become more sensitive, and brushing and flossing results in excessive bleeding. Unlike gingivitis, which can be addressed through a deep cleaning and improved self-care practices, early periodontitis will likely require more intensive interventions.
- Advanced Periodontitis: When bacteria, plaque, and toxins have developed to the point that gum tissue is being destroyed, you have developed advanced periodontitis. If you have progressed to this point you have gum recession and have developed small pockets between your gums and teeth, which allows for more bacteria to grow. These pockets will expand which cause the gums to recede. If left untreated long enough, this recession will result in bone loss.
It's a Team Thing. Here at Karmazin Dental, we invest heavily in recruitment of “A+” team members. Everyone on Team Karmazin has unparallel talent and an ongoing commitment to continuing education. No matter who you see at your appointment, you can be assured that you will be met with a wealth of experience and knowledge not to mention, unequaled customer service.
Not Insurance Driven. The restrictions and limitations that dental insurance puts on its members and Dentists is continuously changing and it is not always for the betterment of the patient. Our focus at Karmazin Dental is to provide patients with the best course of treatment for them, period. For patients without dental insurance, we offer and in house membership plan, which gives the power BACK to our patients. By removing the restrictions of what insurance says they will or will not cover, patients get to spend their money the way they want.
Our philosophy is
CUSTOMIZED ORAL CARE
Growth: Always in ALL – Ways
Gratitude: Our patients provide EVERYTHING
Relentless: Clinical Excellence & continuing OUR education
Never Settle: Provide excellence but have the humility to know we will never get there. There is always something more to do, learn and improve upon.
20/20: Complete transparency with our patients and our team.
Integrity to the Core: Do what we say and say what we think.
Periodontal Therapy Options
There are surgical and non-surgical periodontal therapy options available that can reverse the impact of gum disease.
Once your gum tissue has pulled back from your teeth, it is gone for good. However, there are options for treating gum recession. Karmazin Dental will evaluate to determine the cause of your gum recession. After an assessment, we can recommend the best course of treatment for your needs.
We may be able to treat early gum disease by performing a deep cleaning, also called root planing and scaling. This procedure removes the bacteria and plaque from the teeth below the gumline, the pockets between the gums and teeth, removing the source of the infection and giving the gums the chance to heal.
If there is a noticeable recession, you have developed sensitivity, or you are not happy with the appearance of your teeth and gums, Karmazin Dental may recommend a gum graft to replace the lost tissue. Gum grafting is a simple surgical procedure that involves taking a small amount of tissue from one area, like the roof of your mouth, then transferring it to the gum area in need.
Here are several common periodontal therapy procedures options available:
- Scaling and Root Planing: A deep cleaning that removes plaque and tartar that have developed below the gum line. Scaling refers to the removal of plaque and calculus from the surface of your teeth, where root planing is the smoothing out your teeth’s roots to prevent additional bacteria from forming and to speed up the healing process.
- Periodontal Laser Treatment: Removes gum tissue that has become diseased with lasers. You may consider this option because unlike traditional treatments, periodontal laser treatment causes less gum shrinkage and less discomfort.
- Periodontal Plastic Surgery: A reshaping or recontouring procedure that is performed to improve the aesthetic appearance of your gum tissue.
- Dental Implants: The dental implant process begins with the extraction of a decayed or damaged tooth, if necessary, followed by an x-ray to determine if there is sufficient jawbone density to properly support a dental implant. If there is inadequate jawbone, a dental bone graft may be necessary. If it is determined that you are a candidate, a titanium post will be surgically placed into your jawbone. After this has healed, the replacement tooth or bridge will be placed on this post.
We Love Creating Beautiful Smiles
The entire team at Karmazin Dental share the exceptional passion radiating from Drs. Molly and Corey Karmazin. Each member of the team works diligently to provide modern dental technology, loving care, and time conscious service. You will find five unique qualities that each team member shares. We believe in and practice team ethics and we collectively make every day and every appointment fun. The unbridled desire for continuing education brings to you a higher level of expertise and skills. You will leave with a smile after experiencing our patience and positive attitudes. We share the simple goal of making your smile the invaluable asset it should be. Please call, text, or email to make your appointment for an evaluation on possible gum disease and recession.
Our number is 605-323-1320 and we have plenty of convenient parking at our office, 5701 S. Remington Pl, Sioux Falls, SD 57108. At Karmazin Dental we want to achieve perfection with every procedure, but we will accept excellence.