What we know, is that our patients FEEL our passion. They feel that we are their biggest cheerleaders. They feel that we want the best for them. They do NOT feel judged. We want to give every patient the opportunity to say YES to the best dental care.
More Details on TMJ/TMD
TMJ/TMD refer to oral health ailments that can develop in your jaw that are characterized by headaches, teeth grinding or pain in your jaw. If left untreated, these disorders can result in serious damage occurring with your teeth and your jawbone.
TMJ, the temporomandibular joint, connects the temporal bones of your skull to your jaw and allows your jaw to move both side to side and up and down. When this joint becomes inflamed or injured, symptoms will now range from headaches, numbness in your face, pain, ringing in your ears, or a jaw that becomes locked or difficult to open.
TMJ disorders are classified into the following three categories:
- Myogenous TMJ problems: The most common type of TMD, Myogenous TMJ disorders involve muscle related pain and are related to discomfort in the jaw, temple, neck, or shoulders. These are most often treated successfully with night guards and even BOTOX® treatment.
- Jaw joint generated pain: When pain is caused by an internal derangement of TMJ, which can be the result from an injury to the condyles, a displaced disc within the TMJ, or a dislocated jaw.
- Degenerative joint disease: Caused by health issues such as rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis.
The exact cause of TMJ/TMD is often unknown, but several potential contributing factors are:
- Dislocation of the Cushioning Disc
- Genetic predisposition
It's a Team Thing. Here at Karmazin Dental, we invest heavily in recruitment of “A+” team members. Everyone on Team Karmazin has unparallel talent and an ongoing commitment to continuing education. No matter who you see at your appointment, you can be assured that you will be met with a wealth of experience and knowledge not to mention, unequaled customer service.
Not Insurance Driven. The restrictions and limitations that dental insurance puts on its members and Dentists is continuously changing and it is not always for the betterment of the patient. Our focus at Karmazin Dental is to provide patients with the best course of treatment for them, period. For patients without dental insurance, we offer and in house membership plan, which gives the power BACK to our patients. By removing the restrictions of what insurance says they will or will not cover, patients get to spend their money the way they want.
Our philosophy is
CUSTOMIZED ORAL CARE
Growth: Always in ALL – Ways
Gratitude: Our patients provide EVERYTHING
Relentless: Clinical Excellence & continuing OUR education
Never Settle: Provide excellence but have the humility to know we will never get there. There is always something more to do, learn and improve upon.
20/20: Complete transparency with our patients and our team.
Integrity to the Core: Do what we say and say what we think.
More Details on Bruxism
Bruxism is an unhealthy condition that is characterized by the grinding, clenching, or gnashing of your teeth. Bruxism can occur while you are awake or while sleeping. If you have sleep bruxism you often have related issues such as snoring or sleep apnea.
Common signs of bruxism include the following:
- Jaw Pain
- Worn Teeth
- Fractures or Loose Teeth
- Hearing Loss
The Different Types of Night Guards and Mouth Guards
- A Soft Night Guard- This is the most popular type of night guard for mild or occasional cases of Bruxism, not for severe teeth grinders. They are the most comfortable, the most adaptable and easy to get used to and lower in price. This guard is not as durable and will not be a long-term solution.
- Dual Laminate Night Guards- This night guard for Bruxism is for moderately severe teeth grinders. They are hard on the outside but soft on the inside. They can handle heavy clenching and grinding, and last longer. They are also thicker and are harder to get used to.
- Hard Night Guards- Hard acrylic night guards for Bruxism are extremely rigid and durable. They can be used for severe cases of grinding, as well as TMJ. These are the most durable, they prevent your teeth from shifting and last the longest. They are made from an accurate dental impression at Karmazin Dental, are the thickest and are the most uncomfortable.
Fitting and Sizing your Night Guard or Mouth Guard
Personalizing the fit of your night guard will vary on the version and quality. Here are the examples of night guards for Bruxism:
- “One-size-fits-all.” These are over-the-counter mouth guards that will not be custom fitted. These will work if you are a random teeth grinder and are the lowest-cost option.
- “Boil and bite.” With this retail option you just boil in water and bite into it to leave your own impression. It is simple to do and is the most popular option used. Good for simple sporting activities.
- Order online. These are night guards you can order online. You need to send in your impression, and they mail back your fitted mouthpiece.
- Made in lab. The best alternative, you can get your guard created right at Karmazin Dental. These will offer the most accurate fit because we create them with your impression in our lab.
If you suspect you might have a Bruxism issue it can be treated with night guards. It is best to see us at Karmazin Dental to see if we can diagnose the root cause and correct that before seeking other treatment. As an example, sleep apnea may be the underlying cause.
Proper At-Home Maintenance of your Night Guard or Mouth Guard
It is essential to clean your night guard or mouth guard every night. With clean hands, you should rinse the guard first and then brush your guard using toothpaste and your soft bristle toothbrush. When clean, place it on a clean surface and let it dry. Once dried, store your guard in a proper case.
With proper care your guard will last you a long time. Eventually your guard will need to be replaced. Please always bring your guard with you to your appointments so we can inspect your guard for any signs of wear and to make sure that it is still fitting properly.
We Love Creating Beautiful Smiles
The entire team at Karmazin Dental share the exceptional passion radiating from Drs. Molly and Corey Karmazin. Each member of the team works diligently to provide modern dental technology, loving care, and time conscious service. You will find five unique qualities that each team member shares. We believe in and practice team ethics and we collectively make every day and every appointment fun. The unbridled desire for continuing education brings to you a higher level of expertise and skills. You will leave with a smile after experiencing our patience and positive attitudes. We share the simple goal of making your smile the invaluable asset it should be. Please call, text, or email to make your appointment for an evaluation of the benefits of a night guard or mouth guard for you.
Our number is 605-323-1320 and we have plenty of convenient parking at our office, 5701 S. Remington Pl, Sioux Falls, SD 57108. At Karmazin Dental we want to achieve perfection with every procedure, but we will accept excellence.