What we know, is that our patients FEEL our passion. They feel that we are their biggest cheerleaders. They feel that we want the best for them. They do NOT feel judged. We want to give every patient the opportunity to say YES to the best dental care.
Benefits Of Deep Teeth Cleaning, Scaling and Root Planing
In addition to restoring a healthy smile, a deep cleaning will also improve your overall health. Benefits of deep teeth cleanings include the following:
- Prevents Gum Disease: Gum disease is the inflammation of the gums caused by a build-up of plaque around your teeth. The most common symptoms for gum disease are bleeding when brushing your teeth. To prevent gum disease from developing, it is essential to keep plaque and tartar off your teeth.
- Prevents Halitosis: If you are suffering from gum disease or other oral health issues you may have bad breath. One of the benefits of deep cleaning is the elimination of this issue.
- Prevent Cavities: Plaque that is allowed to collect on your teeth will eat away at the enamel. Plaque is the leading cause of decay, and cavities left untreated will increase the likelihood of needing a tooth extraction. Scheduling a deep cleaning to remove this plaque is one of the best ways you can preserve and maintain good oral health.
- Reduce Likelihood of a Heart Attack or Stroke: In addition to causing issues to your teeth and gums, the bacteria from periodontitis can also enter your bloodstream and increase your risk of having a heart attack or stroke. Research indicates that if you have gum disease you are almost twice as likely to suffer from a heart attack and are at a higher risk of having a stroke.
- Reduces risk of Diabetes: There is a direct correlation between gum disease and diabetes. If you have diabetes, you are more vulnerable to developing gum disease, and if you have gum disease you are more likely to have issues regulating your blood glucose levels, which can result in developing diabetes. By scheduling regular deep cleanings, you can reduce your risk of developing these issues.
It's a Team Thing. Here at Karmazin Dental, we invest heavily in recruitment of “A+” team members. Everyone on Team Karmazin has unparallel talent and an ongoing commitment to continuing education. No matter who you see at your appointment, you can be assured that you will be met with a wealth of experience and knowledge not to mention, unequaled customer service.
Not Insurance Driven. The restrictions and limitations that dental insurance puts on its members and Dentists is continuously changing and it is not always for the betterment of the patient. Our focus at Karmazin Dental is to provide patients with the best course of treatment for them, period. For patients without dental insurance, we offer and in house membership plan, which gives the power BACK to our patients. By removing the restrictions of what insurance says they will or will not cover, patients get to spend their money the way they want.
Our philosophy is
CUSTOMIZED ORAL CARE
Growth: Always in ALL – Ways
Gratitude: Our patients provide EVERYTHING
Relentless: Clinical Excellence & continuing OUR education
Never Settle: Provide excellence but have the humility to know we will never get there. There is always something more to do, learn and improve upon.
20/20: Complete transparency with our patients and our team.
Integrity to the Core: Do what we say and say what we think.
The Levels of Gum Disease
Periodontal disease is a progressive issue that can gradually increase in severity. If you develop periodontal disease, it will be in this order:
- Gingivitis: The earliest stage of periodontitis, gingivitis develops due to bacterial plaque that builds up along the gums. Gingivitis is indicated by sensitive gums that are red, puffy, and bleed easily. Gingivitis can be reversed with proper cleaning and improved oral health care.
- Early Periodontitis: Early periodontitis is caused by the continued build-up of plaque and develops when gingivitis is left untreated. Early periodontitis is indicated by symptoms like gingivitis, just more severe. The gums will feel painful and more sensitive, and brushing can result in excessive bleeding. Unlike gingivitis, which can be addressed through a deep cleaning and improved self-care practices, early periodontitis will likely require more intensive interventions.
- Advanced Periodontitis: When bacteria, plaque, and toxins have developed to the point that gum tissue is being destroyed, you have developed advanced periodontitis. If you have progressed to this point you have developed small pockets between your gums and teeth, which act as breeding grounds for additional bacteria. Because of the additional bacteria, these pockets expand causing the gums to recede. If left untreated this recession will result in bone loss.
The Process for Deep Teeth Cleaning, Scaling and Root Planing
Teeth scaling and root planing can be done at Karmazin Dental as outpatient treatment. You may need to schedule one or more appointments for the procedure depending on the severity of your condition. Our team may or may not need to use a local anesthetic to minimize the discomfort of your procedure. If you are anxious or concerned about discomfort, discuss this with us at your evaluation.
We will first conduct deep teeth scaling. This involves using a scaler and scraping the plaque from your teeth below the surface of your gums and in any large pockets that have developed between your teeth and gums.
Next, we will do the root planing. We will smooth the tooth roots using a scaling tool. This smoothing removes the source of the infection and helps your gums to reattach to your teeth.
Karmazin Dental may also recommend additional treatment depending on the health of your teeth and gums. We may use antimicrobial agents in your mouth or prescribe oral antibiotics for you to take for several days to help you heal faster.
Proper Care Improves the Longevity of The Scaling and Root Planing
To continue enjoying the benefits of your scaling and root planing procedure, be sure to practice good oral hygiene habits every day.
Brush twice daily and practice proper brushing technique. In addition to brushing regularly, it is also important to brush effectively.
Floss daily. If you tend to avoid flossing, you may want to consider flossing alternatives.
Be mindful of your diet. One of the best ways you can prevent dental issues from developing is to avoid foods that are sugary or high in starch.
Schedule regular dental exams at Karmazin Dental every six months. By providing a deep clean for your teeth and diagnosing potential issues before they progress, these checkups are critical to maintaining your oral health.
We Love Creating Beautiful Smiles
The entire team at Karmazin Dental share the exceptional passion radiating from Drs. Molly and Corey Karmazin. Each member of the team works diligently to provide modern dental technology, loving care, and time conscious service. You will find five unique qualities that each team member shares. We believe in and practice team ethics and we collectively make every day and every appointment fun. The unbridled desire for continuing education brings to you a higher level of expertise and skills. You will leave with a smile after experiencing our patience and positive attitudes. We share the simple goal of making your smile the invaluable asset it should be. Please call, text, or email to make your appointment for an evaluation of the benefits of a deep teeth cleaning, scaling and root planing treatment for you.
Our number is 605-323-1320 and we have plenty of convenient parking at our office, 5701 S. Remington Pl, Sioux Falls, SD 57108. At Karmazin Dental we want to achieve perfection with every procedure, but we will accept excellence.